Good 'Go to Snacks'
Our good friend and dietitian Kiarra Martindale has given us some handy snack ideas - enjoy!
Having a healthy lifestyle is an important goal for everyone. Some tips include:
- Eating breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Include a snack between each meal if required or if you are hungry
- Select foods lower in fat
- Enjoy regular exercise
- Fruit: Aim to have 2 serves of fruit per day
- Vegetables: Aim to have 5 serves of vegetables per day.
A snack between each meal may be a way to assist controlling blood sugar levels.
Some healthy Go-To Snack Ideas include:
- 1 cup of homemade vegetable soup or Diabetes kitchen’s soup range.
- 1 serve of Birdseye Steamfresh frozen vegetable steam bag (each bag is 150g - make your own combo of frozen vegetables)
Celery, carrot, cherry tomato, capsicum, zucchini, snow pea, radish, broccoli or cauliflower florets. Serve with ¼ cup of hummus, cottage cheese, low fat tzatziki, low fat salad dressing or tomato salsa
- 20-30 grams of dry roasted or unsalted nuts. As a guide:
- 5 Brazil or Macadamia
- 8 Pecan halves or 10 Walnut halves
- 15 Cashes or Almonds
- 20 Peanuts
- 25 Pistachios
- 130g can baked beans (salt reduced)
- 1-2 cups of air popped popcorn
- 1 egg hardboiled
- 5 olives
- 95g can tuna, salmon or sardines in spring water, flavoured or oil (drained)
- 150g Edgell 3 Beans & Corn - Balsamic Vinegar or Thai Sweet Chilli
- 1 cup of berries or chopped fresh fruit
- 1 piece of medium fresh fruit (apple, orange etc.) or 2 small fruits (apricots, kiwi fruit etc.)
- 1 small handful (e.g. 4 apricot halves, 20 sultanas) or snack size box of dried fruit
1 Thin slice of Fruit bread or wholegrain bread or pumpernickel bread
4 x Vitawheat® or 2 x Ryvita® Multigrain biscuits
- Sliced mushroom, tomato, capsicum and a slice of reduced-fat cheese under the grill
- A slice of reduced-fat cheese with tomato, pickle or cucumber
- Thin spread of low-fat tzatziki or hummus dip or fresh avocado
- Thin scrape of margarine, 1 teaspoon of honey, 100% fruit spread or peanut butter
Low Fat Dairy
Skim or Reduced-fat dairy or soy milk: 1 glass or 250mL
Reduced-fat natural, diet or fruit yoghurt: 200g alone or 100g with 35g serve Keto Granola from Diabetes Kitchen.
Check out our Diabetes Kitchen’s range of Sugar-free snacks at https://www.diabetesmealsonline.com.au/collections/sugar-free-snacks
Follow Kiarra! Instagram @nutriperks